Atlantic Seafood Chowder
- Serves: 6
- 3 ounces (90 g) salt fat pork, chopped fine
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- ½ lb (250 g) shrimp, halved or quartered if large
- ½ lb (250 g) scallops, halved or quartered if large
- ½ lb (250 g) lobster meat, cut in bite-size pieces
- ½ lb (250 g) haddock fillet, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole milk or light cream
- 1 can (370 mL) evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven or large saucepan with a heavy bottom, gently fry the salt fat pork to render out the fat. When the pieces are crisp and golden brown, remove and reserve for garnish.
Drain off all but 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the fat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add potatoes and water. Bring to boiling point, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Add seafood, milk or cream, and evaporated milk; simmer just below the boiling point (do not allow to boil) until seafood is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot. Sprinkle top with a few scrunchions (crisp pieces of rendered pork fat).