- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh chanterelle mushrooms, chopped into bite-sized pieces, plus some extra, smaller chanterelles left whole for garnish—about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) arborio or carnaroli rice
- ½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 3 cups (750 mL) heated vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped flat leaf parsley
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in sauté pan; add chopped mushrooms and sauté until they start to release their liquid. Add a pinch of salt and cook until lightly browned. Add lemon juice, place in bowl and set aside. Repeat process with whole mushrooms. Reserve in separate bowl.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium saucepan and add shallot. Sauté about 1 minute on medium heat then add rice. Cook while stirring until rice is fully coated with butter. Add wine and stir until mostly absorbed by rice. Add ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable stock and stir occasionally until absorbed by rice. Continue adding stock until only 1 cup (250 mL) stock remains.
Add reserved mushrooms (keeping the smaller ones for garnish aside), another ½ cup (125 mL) stock and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until most of the stock is absorbed and the risotto has a creamy texture. The rice should still have a slight crunch. Remove from heat, cover and set aside until ready to serve.
To Finish Risotto:
Remove cover from risotto and place back on medium heat. Add reserved ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable stock, parmesan cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated and risotto reaches desired creamy texture. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Place desired risotto on plate and flatten with spoon. Place halibut fillet partially on risotto. Sprinkle with parsley and scatter reserved chanterelles around the plate. Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Grilled or steamed asparagus spears with fresh lemon juice are a nice complement.
Serve with Grilled, Brined Halibut with Fresh Herb Butter