Charlotte Lane Seafood Chowder
- By: Charlotte Lane
- Serves: 8
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) flour
- 2 ½ cups (600 mL) whipping cream
- ½ cup (100 mL) dry white wine
- ½ cup (100 mL) Hunky Dory Pale Ale
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Dry fish stock powder to taste
- Dry tarragon flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz (250 grams) bacon, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 2 medium sweet potato, diced small
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 lb (500 grams) fresh haddock
- 1 lb (500 grams) scallops, broken
- 1 lb (500 grams) shrimp (approximately 150 - 200)
- 8 oz (250 grams) smoked haddock
- 8 oz (250 grams) maple smoked salmon (hot smoked)
In a pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour, stir well; add cream and whisk well with flour mix. Add wine, beer, Worcestershire, fish stock, tarragon and pepper to taste. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, fry bacon lightly, add onion and sauté well.
In another pot, over medium heat, cook sweet potato and parsnip in salt water until soft, drain and add to cream base with bacon and onion.
In another pot, poach all fish in water until 2/3 done, but not well done. Drain and keep a little of the liquid aside. Do not overcook fish!!!
Add fish to soup and add, if necessary, a little of the fish poaching water to the chowder, just to your consistency preference, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
Serve chowder with Hunky Dory Pale Ale, made by Boxing Rock Brewery in Shelburne, NS.