Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Bacon & Cheddar
- By: Theresa Devoe (Alder Point, NS)
- Serves: 2
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) softened butter
- 2 slices white bread (cut no more than a half inch thick)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded aged cheddar Caramelized onions (see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) goat cheese
- 6 slices crisp bacon
(yields about ¾ cups)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced thin
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) white (or red) balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Heat a frying pan on medium-low heat. Meanwhile, butter bread on one side and place in pan to cook until golden brown. Set aside; remove pan from heat.
Assemble sandwich on grilled side of bread. Start by putting half the shredded cheese followed by 2 to 3 tablespoons of caramelized onions; crumble goat cheese over onions and arrange bacon on top. Add remainder of cheese and top with bread, grilled side down.
Heat pan again on medium-low heat. Butter top slice of bread and turn assembled sandwich over to place in pan; butter the other side of bread. Cook until golden brown on each side and the cheese has completely melted, about 4 minutes per side.
Makes 2 servings of a half sandwich each.
In a frying pan over medium-low heat, heat oil and butter; add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally. When onions begin to stick, add a little water to deglaze. Continue this process until onions are golden brown; approximately 45 minutes. Once onions are done, deglaze the pan a final time with balsamic vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan; allow to cool before serving.