Mare’s Garden Bruschetta
- By: Marianne Mepham-Newton (Lower Coverdale, NB)
- Serves: 4
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 green onions
- 6 large mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1-2 splashes, balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Selection of fresh herbs (couple of leafs or stems each): chives, basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, oregano or cilantro
Dice tomatoes and place in bowl. Sprinkle with salt to bring out the fresh juices; dice remainder of the vegetables and add to tomatoes. Mince herbs and add to vegetable mixture. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir thoroughly and set aside for 10 minutes.
Cut bread into bite-sized pieces or cut bread lengthwise in half and cut into big cubes—your preference. Top generously with tomato bruschetta mixture. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of each piece. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 to 30 minutes; remove when cheese is bubbly and bread is crunchy and toasty brown on edges. Makes 4 servings.