Mushroom Barley Risotto
- Serves: 4
- 6 cups (1.5 L) beef stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced shallots
- 1 cup (250 mL) barley
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- ¼ lb (115 g) chopped mushrooms
- ¼ lb (115 g) asparagus tips
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated Asiago cheese
In a medium pot, heat beef stock, bringing it to a light boil; reduce to a simmer for a few minutes.
In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high, heat olive oil and sauté shallots until soft; add barley and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add white wine to deglaze, then begin adding beef broth, one ladle at a time, and stir until all the liquid is absorbed and barley is tender (process will take close to 50 minutes).
Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil; add mushroom, asparagus, shallots, garlic and thyme; sauté until soft.
Assembly: Gently fold mushroom mixture and cheese into the finished risotto. Serve with more cheese on side.