A deliciously decadent dish
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk
- ½ cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, coffee, cocoa and salt. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks just to break them up; whisk in the milk and maple syrup.
Add milk mixture to dry mixture in pot, stirring to combine. Slowly bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, using a rubber spatula to mix continuously but gently, scraping sides often. Continue to stir while mixture boils for 1 minute.
Remove from heat; stir in butter pieces and vanilla.
Spoon mixture into dessert dishes. Cover each pudding with cut-to-size wax paper to prevent skin from forming, and let cool before placing in refrigerator to chill for several hours.