- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 medium sweet onions, julienned
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry sherry
- 8 cups (2 L) beef stock
- 6 slices crusty bread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded gruyère
In a small bowl, combine all garlic butter ingredients and set aside.
In a 9 L stock pot, melt butter for soup. Sauté the shallots in butter until brown, then add onion and sauté until translucent. Add salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme; sprinkle with flour. Add sherry and stock; bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
Make a crouton to top each bowl by turning bowls upside down on bread slices, then cutting to fit. Spread with garlic butter and top with gruyère.
Pour soup into individual bowls, place crouton on top, and broil until cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes. Makes 6 servings.