- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10 mL) gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) warm water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
Easy Chocolate Icing
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter
Butter two 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pans and dust with cocoa, or use two lined 12-cup muffin tins.
In an automatic mixer, whisk together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Increase speed to medium. Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Divide batter between pans or muffin tins. Bake at 350ºF (180ºC), for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes, turn out and transfer to wire racks. Allow to cool fully.
To make icing: In a small saucepan, warm milk over low heat. Add chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Remove from heat. Add butter in small amounts, stirring until smooth. Refrigerate until icing is firm enough to spread. Frost individual muffins, or, for layer cake, flip first layer of cake over so flat side is up, and spread with frosting. Place second cake layer flat side down on top of first; frost top and sides. Makes 6-8 servings.